Functional Role of a Supply Chain Manager (SCM) is to lead the smooth material supply management of a company. Duties of Supply Chain Manager include supply chain process, logistics operations, Vendor Development & Management, inventory control, material transportation, quality assurance of material etc.
Do you want to know in detail what a Supply Chain Manager does? What you should look for in a Supply Chain Manager Resume? What are the points you should include in your Supply Chain Manager CV? Please read below.
Responsibilities of Supply Chain Manager:
Procurement/ Vendor Development:
- Source competent potential global vendors for a wide range of items including machinery, equipment, commodities and consumables.
- Obtain detailed offers and discuss techno commercial terms and conditions with qualified engineering firms and award Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Contracts for various projects.
- Negotiate terms & conditions with vendors and evaluate their offers based on reliability and the effective landed price of material after considering various tax liabilities, duties, rebates / incentives and credit terms.
- Ensure adherence to international quality standards for all goods and services.
- Evaluate the performance of vendors based on criteria such as quality improvement rate, timely delivery and credit terms.
- Purchase capital goods, machinery, raw material, spares, general engineering items and consumables.
- Skilled in materials management and inventory reconciliation
- Developing route plans, vehicle selection, scheduling drivers & resources so as to ensure operational efficiencies through seamless movement of vehicles to various destinations.
- Preparing weekly productivity reports thereby facilitating in decision-making.
- Develop logistics process and implement supply chain strategy for entire business expansions.
- Handle the tasks of managing a team of inbound and outbound logistic professionals.
- Accurately calculating total supply chain costs in relation to proposed new projects.
- Providing accurate routing the information to ensure that Inbound & outbound delivery times and locations are coordinated.
- Supervise of all Regular work regarding dispatch.
- Responsible for entire inventory with Physical stocks management.
- Conduct Internal Stock Audit.
- Order processing and invoicing as per Indents/Allocations, to complete the paper work and follow-up with the transporter.
- Recruit, lead and train all logistics staff in logistics and inventory management / processes.
- Manage central stores with inventory, implement ABC Analysis / lead time assessments to determine optimum inventory levels and implement inventory management systems for effective stores management to ensure the ready availability of materials to meet production targets.
- Conduct reorder level review, inventory reduction initiatives and institute procedures for the proper and accurate receipt, storage and issue of items.
- Monitor the cost of inventory; institute systems to identify non-moving items, reduce scrap generation, out of turn purchases and arrange for their disposal from time to time in consultation of vendors and user departments.
Warehouse / Stores Management:
- Establish & monitor specific supply chain-based performance measurement systems.
- Plan & implement material flow management systems to meet production requirements.
- Create policies or procedures for logistics activities. Maintain metrics, reports, process documentation, customer service logs, or training or safety records.
- Negotiate transportation rates or services. Negotiate with suppliers or customers to improve supply chain efficiency or sustainability.
- Design models for use in evaluating logistics programs or services. Supervise the work of logistics specialists, planners, or schedulers.
- Ensure carrier compliance with company policies or procedures for product transit or delivery.
- Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios. Plan or implement improvements to internal or external logistics systems or processes.
- Recommend purchase of new or improved technology, such as automated systems.
- Design models for use in evaluating logistics programs or services.
- Implement specific customer requirements, such as internal reporting or customized transportation metrics.
- Plan and implement / streamline stores layouts to store material in the right place and in the most suitable / prescribed manner to accord easy identification, handling, periodical inspection, accounting, preservation, housekeeping of premises and safety of the material.
- Identifying & developing a base of reliable transporters, selecting best mode of transport.
- Supervising the fleet of vehicles, ensuring on time delivery & monitoring transit norms.
- Fixing the annual contract with transporters for outbound material.
- Arrangement and check Road Permits for smooth goods movement. Responsible for answering customers queries and solving problems.
- Relationship Management with key accounts for increasing the level of sales growth
- Ensuring customer satisfaction & implementing quality service standards.
- Act as a front line interface between the customers, distribution agents & service teams to troubleshoot on unresolved grievances & queries of individual and corporate clients.
How to become a Supply Chain Manager:
Educational Qualification requirement for a Supply Chain Manager is Graduate or Bachelor degree from any of college/university in any stream or discipline. Diploma or post graduate diploma or MBA in Supply Chain Management (SCM) is must for Supply Chain Manager. The person needs to work in supply chain or material management department for at least 5 to 10 years to become a Material Manager.
Technical Skills Required for Supply Chain Manager:
- Strategic Planning & Leadership
- MIS Management
- Cost Focus
- Budgeting & Forecasting acumen
- Audit & Compliance expertise
- Procurement Management
- Logistics expertise
- Good at Liaison and Relationship management
Software skills Required for Supply Chain Manager:
ERP/SAP (MM module)
MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point
Soft skills Required for Supply Chain Manager:
- Strong negotiating skills essential for fixing correct price and other terms of contract.
- Excellent Verbal communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong communicative and interpersonal skills essential for managing people.
- Self-motivated, hardworking. Always keen on constant improvement.
- Goal Oriented mind set.
What is the Job Opportunity of Supply Chain Manager in the industry?
Supply Chain Managers are required and hired in manufacturing companies, Logistics Companies, Warehousing companies, export import companies, online shopping companies like amazon, flipkart, Myntra etc. So, there is always a huge demand of Supply Chain Managers.
Salary of Supply Chain Manager (in India):
Salary of Supply Chain Manager in India ranges from 8 Lacs Rupees to 35 Lacs of Rupees per annum depending upon the Experience, Expertise, Industry, Business volume, procurement ticket size etc.
Yes, he needs to work in supply chain or material store management department of a company.
There are moderate demands of Logistics Manager abroad especially in Middle east countries (Gulf), South Africa, Canada etc.