Role of a Chemical Process Engineer is to play the anchoring role monitor & supervise Process Plant Operation. Responsibilities of a Chemical Process Engineer include smooth running of various section of plants which involves operation, troubleshooting of various equipment and system such as Distillation Columns, Ejectors, Catalyst Vessels, Reactors, Centrifugal & Reciprocating compressors, Steam turbines, Centrifugal pumps, heat ex-changer, cooling towers etc.
Do you want to know in detail what a Chemical Process Engineer does? What you should look for in a Chemical Process Engineer Resume? What are the points you should include in your Chemical Process Engineer CV? Please read below.
Responsibilities of a Chemical Process Engineer:
- Development of Basic Design Engineering Package, FEED & Detailed Engineering
- Smooth Operation of the plant with Desk Control System (DCS) and analyzing the process and process equipment data to identify the problem and solving process deviations in time.
- Reviewing of process logics based on the requirement for smooth and safe operation of plant.
- Monitoring the process parameters and finding the root cause for the major problems in the plant.
- Evaluated heat exchangers performance.
- Given process suggestions in the plant to optimize & reduce the Specific Energy Consumption.
- Actively involved in vendor meetings for revamp project in plant.
- Ability to work in team with maintenance and service departments.
- Preparation of operating manual, standard operating procedures.
- Prepared JHA (Job hazard analysis) report for critical jobs.
- Review of PFD & P&ID’s.
- Emergency Handling of plant emergencies like Fire Emergency, Feed failure, Power failure, cooling water failure, Steam failure.
- Startup, Shutdown activity of Reactors& individual equipment.
- Optimizing running of plant at various load condition.
- Responsible for smooth operation of plant, monitoring process parameter to improve plant productivity and profitability.
- Process parameters monitoring and analysis & preparing daily and monthly reports.
- Handover and takeover of equipments for maintenance for reducing equipment downtime.
- Safe start up and shut down of plant as per requirement.
- Preparation of work permit, check list, punch points for Shut down.
- Shift manpower planning.
- Monitoring of process parameters and their optimization, monitoring of catalysts/additives performance, capacity utilization, troubleshooting of process problems, maintaining the products quality within the specification limits.
- Initiate prompt action to prevent or control abnormal or emergency operating conditions
- Identifying problem areas in day-to-day operations i.e. loss of throughput, product yields, quality problems etc. and providing solutions
- To log all shift activities/events and important parameters of the shift, review the operating data to ensure correct operations and maximum operating capability
- Ensure laboratory testing of unit streams, finished products and other special samples.
- Collect, compile, analyze operating data and review processes to ensure unit operations to the optimum capabilities
- Ensure troubleshooting actions to prevent or control abnormal operating conditions
- Initiate actions for modifications in equipment/processes for increasing plant/unit throughput and distillate yield
- Effective liaisons with R&D, licensors & technology vendors
- Monitor daily unit operations & identify scope and initiate corrective measures for cost cutting in areas of chemicals, catalysts, utilities
- Initiate actions for procurement of new age chemicals, catalyst & additives
- Performance evaluations of processes, chemicals & catalysts
- Infrastructure development through installation of new equipment, usage of additive & catalysts
- Preparation of ‘Daily Operating Report’ highlighting operating parameters, throughput, yields & quality parameters
- Conducting regular plant test run to identify deviations in process parameters, product properties and take corrective action for the same.
How to become a Chemical Process Engineer:
Educational Qualification requirement to become a Chemical Process Engineer is Diploma in Chemical Engineering (DCE) or Graduate in Chemical Engineering (BE/BTech) from an accredited Institute/College approved by AICTE in India, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Master of Science in Chemistry from any recognized college or university.
Technical Skills required for Chemical Process Engineer:
- Performance evaluations of processes, chemicals
- Effective coordination with R&D, licensors & technology vendors
- Coordination and Documentation with Consultants, Clients, and Contractors
- Time Management
Software skills Required for Chemical Process Engineer:
MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point
Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
What is the Job Opportunity of Chemical Process Engineer in the Industry?
Chemical Process Engineers are required and hired in Chemical industries like Refineries, Petrochemicals, Fertilizer, Oil and Gas, Pharmaceuticals, Aluminum, Copper, Chemical, Tar industries etc.
Salary of Chemical Process Engineer (in India)
|Average Salary per annum
|0 – 5 Years
|5 – 10 years
|10 – 15 years
|15 and above
|Up to 3 Lacs
|3 to 5 Lacs
|5 to 8 Lacs
|8 Lacs to 15 Lacs
|Up to 4 Lacs
|4 to 6 Lacs
|7 to 12 Lacs
|10 to 25 Lacs
Salary may vary depending upon the experience and expertise.
Yes, he needs to work in chemical process department in any chemical processing organization and be a diploma or graduate chemical engineer or BSc/MSc in Chemistry.
There are high demands of Indian Electrical Site Engineers abroad especially in Middle east countries (Gulf), South Africa, Canada.
Yes, he can if the person imbibes operation management skills while working on Chemical Process closely with superior Process Head.