The Role and Responsibilities of a Civil Project Manager (PM) in real estate industry is to play the pivotal leadership role from the start of a project to closure of a project of the real estate construction project. Duties of a Civil Project Manager (PM) are to monitor and supervise every department of a project and act as a bridge between the top management and the construction project. Resource Management, manpower management, vendor management, supplier management, time management, operation and administration of a project and Customer Interaction on behalf of the company are the major duties of a Civil Project Manager (PM) Real Estate Industry.
Do you want to know in detail what a Civil Project Manager does? What you should look for in a CCivil Project Manager Resume? What are the points you should include in your Civil Project Manager CV? Please read below.
Role and Responsibilities of a Civil Project Manager (PM):
- Civil Project Manager takes the anchor role to supervising & monitoring the overall project performance on regular basis & taking steps for further improvements with a view to complete project within stipulated time & budget. Maintaining project schedules and ensure allotted man-hours, deadlines and cost requirements are strictly adhered to. Recommend cost effective measures to reduce overall costs.
- Apply expertise to manage overall project activities including project scheduling and resource allocation of manpower, material, machine and money to maximize operational efficiency; identify key milestones and forecast completion timeline. Project planning, project progress monitoring & expediting, engineering, ordering, supply, invoicing, collection, disbursement & resource planning etc. Coordination and synchronizing activities with all relevant agencies including interdepartmental, consultant, erection contractor, client etc.
- Project Manager gives technical advice to the clients with respect to project planning and development. Participate in client review meetings at site and represent the project controls function in such meetings. Interaction with the client project controls personnel as required, including review/approval/certification of construction.
- Should be adept at maintaining perfect coordination with the project team & all internal/external parties to maintain the technical parameters and carry out work measurements and providing technical validation for jobs.
- Project Manager (PM) monitors a job and escalate potential risk events for proactive mitigation related to the job.
- Efficiently liaising and coordinating with clients, consultants, architects and sub-contractors of the projects while ensuring profitability and project deliverables.
- Take care of entire gamut of functions pertaining to Architectural Design/Drawings. Facilitate with other professionals, including Structural Engineers, Electrical Engineers, HVAC Engineers, and Plumbing Engineers & Surveyors, to ensure that their multistoried buildings meet the necessary standards. Also work closely with construction specialists on site and oversee projects from beginning to end.
- Spearhead the supervising, checking & coordinating the Interior work, Quality and executing day-to-day works like Site work, Vendor coordination, Bills etc., so as to achieve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Civil Project Manager makes strategic planning & controlling all project activities connected with safe and efficient operations. Implement quality standards for meeting the set targets within time & cost parameters.
- Judiciously supervising site activities including man and material management while providing technical inputs for methodologies of construction & maintenance.
- Play the pivotal role in managing resources while creating estimates for the project, work breakdown structure (WBS), project plan, contingency plan & schedules, identifying risks within defined scope, quality, time and cost constraints.
- Supervise and monitor the tendering process from floating of bids & tenders to awarding of the same to Sub-Contractors. Coordinate with contractors in regards to techno-commercial negotiations.
- Project Manager conducts meetings with client & consultant on contractual matters regarding progress of works, claim situations and other construction issues.
- Directing, leading and motivating workforce; imparting continuous on job training for accomplishing greater operational effectiveness / efficiency.
- Motivating Contractors and Sub-Contractors to forward planning of men and material to achieve timely completion of the project activities.
- Project Manager (PM) also looks after Project profitability by monitoring of deliverables to achieve target revenue, invoicing and collection. Monitoring project receivable and coordinate with client for periodic reconciliation of statement of accounts.
- Project Documentation & Management report – Continuous Project monitoring by various monthly & weekly reports such as Master Progress Report, Technical & Documentation Status Report, Invoicing Plan, Receivable statement, Preparation of Project Cost Control & Weight Variance Report and analyze Cost / Weight Variance and Gross Margin Slippage. Preparing and monitoring of Project Cost & Cash Flow Forecasts. Preparation of MIS.
How to become a Civil Project Manager (PM):
Educational Qualification requirement to become a Civil Project Manager (PM) is Diploma in Civil Engineering (DME) or Graduate in Civil Engineering (BE/BTech) from an accredited Institute/College approved by AICTE in India. But to become a Project Manager (PM), educational qualification is not the sufficient requirement. At least 10 years for a degree engineer and 15 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer in multiple projects and at least 5 years as a deputy to a project manager will be necessary.
Technical Skills required for Civil Project Manager (PM):
- Budget preparation, project monitoring.
- Project Schedule, Progress Monitoring (Monthly, Weekly, Daily project reports).
- Proven competence in Site Handling and Construction Management
- Should have knowledge of handling the project independently
- Contract Management
- Material management and Resource Planning
- Compliance knowhow.
- Liaison & Negotiation
Behavioral Skills required for Civil Project Manager (PM):
- Should be good planner and implementer of project schedule within the cost and time target.
- Should have the driving force to handle effectively the complexities of consultants, contractors, suppliers for achieving the target on time and within the budgeted cost.
Software skills Required for Civil Project Manager (PM):
Microsoft PROJECTS/ Primavera
ERP solution MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point
What is the Job Scope of a Civil Project Manager (PM) in the Real Estate Industry?
There are huge demands of good and educated Civil Project Manager (PM) in real estate industry in India as well as abroad especially in middle east and Africa. Project Managers are the indispensable and integral part of a real estate project. Without a Project Manager no real estate project can be started or ended. He is the ultimate techno commercial authority of a real estate project.
Salary of Civil Project Manager (PM) (in India):
Salary of Civil Project Manager (PM) in Real Estate in India ranges from 12 Lacs Rupees to 40 Lacs Rupees per annum depending upon the qualification, experience, Expertise, Company, volume of the project.
Yes, at least 15 years for a degree engineer and 20 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer will be necessary.
There are high demands of Indian Residential Construction Manager abroad especially in Middle east countries, Africa, Canada, Australia.
No. The ITI holder should get Diploma certificate at least.
Residential Construction Manager is may be head office based or site-based job depending on project and hiring company.