Role of an Electrical Project Manager is to play the leadership role from the start of a project to closure of a project of the Electrification or Distribution project. Responsibilities of a Project Manager include monitor and supervise every department of a project and act as a bridge between the top management and the construction project. Resource Management, manpower management, vendor management, supplier management, time management, operation and administration of a project and Customer Interaction on behalf of the company are the major duties of an Electrical Project Manager in Electrification, Distribution or Power Plant industry.
Do you want to know in detail what an Electrical Project Manager does? What you should look for in an Electrical Project Manager Resume? What are the points you should include in your Electrical Project Manager CV? Please read below.
Responsibilities of a Electrical Project Manager:
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end Electrification, Distribution or Power Plant Project.
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in Collaboration with senior Management and stakeholders.
- Project Management, Planning, scheduling, construction, execution & monitoring for overhead transmission line.
- Develop Full–scale project and associated communications documents.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitment if necessary, during project cycle.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other Stakeholders.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project mile stones and deliverables.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project lifecycle.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for the assigned work.
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Monthly MIS and its analysis and subsequent consolidation of MIS from different countries for management
- Presentation Scrutiny of Supplier’s ledger & Debtor’s Reconciliation, Executing Reconciliation of Revenue vs Cost
- Preparation of cashflow & ensuring actual against Budgeted /Estimated
- Overseeing Statements provided to Taxation Department for C Form, Sale tax & Service Tax Returns
- Dealing with Banks for Issuing of Bank Guarantees, L/C’s, and Overdraft Facilities.
- Preparation of Billing Schedules, released all payments, store reconciliation, released Bank Guarantees & closing contract.
- Coordinating with various inter department unit like planning, engineering, procurement, quality, safety and stores for their specific daily activities related to project.
- Maintaining project schedules and ensure allotted man-hours, deadlines and cost requirements are strictly adhered to. Recommend cost effective measures to reduce overall costs.
- Project planning, project progress monitoring & expediting, engineering, ordering, supply, invoicing, collection, disbursement & resource planning etc. Coordination and synchronizing activities with all relevant agencies including interdepartmental, consultant, erection contractor, client etc.
- Supporting Supply Chain Management by vendor identification, negotiation with vendor during project acquisition and execution phase for critical and high value items in order to maintain margin and delivery schedule.
- Looks after Project profitability by monitoring of deliverables to achieve target revenue, invoicing and collection. Monitoring project receivable and coordinate with client for periodic reconciliation of statement of accounts.
- Project Manager takes care of various commercial and statutory requirements such as CST, ED, VAT, Custom Duty, different types of form etc.
- Settlement of Extra Claim, Insurance claim and any dispute etc. with Clients or vendors and resolution of customer complains.
- Project Documentation & Management report – Continuous Project monitoring by various monthly & weekly reports such as Master Progress Report, Technical & Documentation Status Report, Invoicing Plan, Receivable statement, Preparation of Project Cost Control & Weight Variance Report and analyze Cost / Weight Variance and Gross Margin Slippage. Preparing and monitoring of Project Cost & Cash Flow Forecasts. Preparation of MIS.
- Coordinates with Field service department for carrying out erection, commissioning, PG testing and hand over of plant to Customer.
How to become an Electrical Project Manager:
Educational Qualification requirement to become an Electrical Project Manager is Diploma in Electrical Engineering (DEE) or Graduate in Electrical Engineering (BE/BTech) from an accredited Institute/College approved by AICTE in India. But to become a Project Manager (PM), educational qualification is not the only requirement. At least 10 years for a degree engineer and 15 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer in multiple projects and at least 5 years as construction manager will be necessary.
Technical Skills required for Electrical Project Manager:
- Budget preparation, project monitoring.
- Project Schedule, Progress Monitoring (Monthly, Weekly, Daily project reports).
- Proven competence in Site Handling and Construction Management
- Should have knowledge of handling the project independently
- Contract Management
- Material management and Resource Planning
- Compliance knowhow.
- Liaison & Negotiation
Behavioral Skills required for Electrical Project Manager:
- Should be good planner and implementer of project schedule within the cost and time target.
- Should have the driving force to handle effectively the complexities of consultants, contractors, suppliers for achieving the target on time and within the budgeted cost.
Software skills Required for Electrical Project Manager:
MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point
What is the Job opportunity of Electrical Project Manager in the Industry?
There are huge demands of good and educated Electrical Project Manager in Electrification, Distribution or Power Plant industry in India as well as abroad especially in middle east and Africa. Project Managers are the indispensable and integral part of these types of projects. Without a Project Manager no electrical project can be started or ended. Electrical Project Manager is the ultimate techno commercial authority of an electrical project.
Salary of Electrical Project Manager (in India):
Salary of Electrical Project Manager in India ranges from 12 Lacs Rupees to 36 Lacs Rupees per annum depending upon the qualification, experience, Expertise, Company, volume of the project.
Yes, at least 15 years for a degree engineer and 20 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, electrical engineer or qa/qc engineer will be necessary.
There are high demands of Indian Electrical Project Manager abroad especially in Middle east countries, Africa, Canada, Australia.
No. The ITI holder should get Diploma certificate at least.
Electrical Project Manager may be head office based or site-based job depending on project and hiring company.