Role of an Engineering Head of the Department (HOD) or Head of Engineering or General Manager Engineering of a factory is to lead the all the engineering departments (Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Civil, Project & HSE/EHS [Health, Safety and Environment]) of an organization. Responsibilities of an Engineering Head are to supervise the project team and maintenance team to look after several installations and buildings, project monitoring, quality control, supervision of periodical maintenance, safety etc. of the plant. Duties of a Civil Head include Project, Planning, Maintenance, Cost Reduction, Vendor Management, Liaison with concerned bodies, Coordination and Documentation, Contribution in Revenue growth.
Do you want to know in detail what an Engineering Head of the Department does? What you should look for in an Engineering Head of the Department Resume? What are the points you should include in your Engineering Head of the Department CV? Please read below.
Responsibilities of an Engineering Head of the Department (HOD):
- Lead complete facility maintenance functions (Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Civil, Project & HSE or EHS) of Plant & Utilities.
- Spearheading entire gamut of maintenance operations of with DCS Facility & Machineries encompassing Boilers, Air Compressors, Cooling Tower, DG Sets, Soft Water & RO System, HVAC, Electrical Transformers & Related System, Purifiers, Refiners, Heat Exchangers, Dryers, blenders, Material Handling Equipment, ETP Plant and other related machineries.
- Set up smart KPI targets and achieving the same within time & cost parameters
- Increasing machine uptime & reliability by implementing effective preventive maintenance schedules of various machinery & instruments
- Identifying areas of obstruction and taking steps to rectify the same through application of troubleshooting tools
- Executing cost saving and energy saving techniques/measures and modifications to achieve substantial reduction in O&M expenditures and work within the budget
- Assessing training needs of employees in coordination with in respective departments and further actions for multi-skill enhancement
- Ensuring standardization of best engineering practices for both the plants
- Coaching employees & counselling, appraising & reviewing performance and ensuring optimum performance
- Formulating & controlling annual Capex and maintenance budget
- Effective Inventory Management with proper categorization and tools
- Executing on-site energy investigation, analysis and further implementation for energy conservation, efficiency improvements & cost reduction
- Anchoring erection & commissioning of equipment / plant and ensuring completion of improvement project in minimum turnaround time effective resource utilization to maximize the output
- Establishing, coordinating & implementing aims of strategies & policies to reduce energy consumption; monitoring & reviewing effectiveness of these policies & strategies as well as coordinating annual progress reports
- Adhering to statutory compliances with agencies like Pollution Board, Explosives Department and Boiler & Electrical Inspectorate to acquire requisite approvals/consents/licenses
- Monitoring implementation & documentation of quality systems for various audits
- Managing a team and guiding site staff members to address and resolve performance bottlenecks
- Independent handling of green field projects including Plant layout, Area statement, Utility requirements, Equipment finalization and procurement, erection and commissioning.
- Ensuring that the Project Plan is prepared and a full Validation Master Plan is prepared for the chosen solution option to ensure benefits realization. Day-to-day management and completion of the engineering aspects of the project, using agreed resources, by an agreed date to agreed safety standards and an agreed quality within an agreed budget
- Co-ordination, scheduling and reporting of activities.
- Providing regular, timely, accurate, progress reports, cash flow and cost of completion forecasts.
- Conceptualizing & implementing plans to enhance operational efficiency & resource utilization.
- Planning & executing production operations in coordination with the other functions.
- To drive in the systematic approach for trouble shooting.
- Monitoring and de-bottle necking of manufacturing
- Planning and developing engineering stores systems with respect to availability, retrieval time and inventory.
How to become an Engineering Head of the Department (HOD):
Educational Qualification requirement to become Engineering Head of the Department is Graduate in Mechanical Engineering (BE/BTech) from an accredited Institute/College approved by AICTE in India. But to become an Engineering Head of the Department, educational qualification is not the only requirement. At least 20 years of experience in a factory or any construction company as Mechanical engineer will be necessary.
Technical Skills required for an Engineering Head of the Department:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Identifying & planning the work with specifying priority.
- Budget preparation, project monitoring.
- Should have knowledge of handling the project independently
- Contract Management
- Material management and Resource Planning
- Compliance knowhow.
- Liaison & Negotiation
- Time management skills; ability to prioritize
- Experience with statistical modeling and descriptive statistics
Software skills Required for an Engineering Head of the Department:
- ERP (Oracle, SAP, etc.)
Behavioral or Soft Skills required for a Engineering Head of the Department:
- Should be good planner, strong leader, innovator, keen problem solver and astute decision maker.
- Should have the driving force to handle effectively the complexities of consultants, contractors, suppliers for achieving the target on time and within the budgeted cost.
What is the Job Opportunity of Engineering Head of the Department in the Industry?
Engineering Head of the Department are required in every Heavy Engineering industry like Oil and Gas, Refineries, Petroleum, Piping, Tankage, Steel, Aluminum, Chemical, Fertilizer, Automobile, construction industry etc. Engineering Head of the Department are hired in Greenfield, Brownfield projects for large factory set up, expansion or revamp projects. Engineering Head of the Department have very high demand in factory’s entire engineering project, control and maintenance. They have huge contribution in Infrastructural Projects like hydropower, thermal power industries.
Salary of an Engineering Head of the Department (in India):
Salary of an Engineering Head of the Department in India ranges from 35 Lacs Rupees to 75 Lacs Rupees per annum depending upon the qualification, experience, Expertise, Company, volume of the project.
No, he needs to work as a project and maintenance mechanical engineer in a factory for 20-25 years to gather detailed knowledge.
There are high demands of Indian Engineering Head of the Department abroad especially in Middle east (Gulf) countries, Africa, Canada, Australia.
No. The ITI holder should get BE/BTech in Mechanical Engineering.