Duties and Responsibilities of a Residential Construction Manager (RCM) is to spearhead Construction Management, operation and administration of a project site and Customer Interaction on behalf of the company. Residential Construction Manager (RCM) takes care of the resources, manpower, execution, vendors, local issues, risk, payments, customer management etc. in Petroleum, Refinery, Piping, Tankage industry. Resident Construction Manager (RCM) leads in all engineering department like mechanical, civil, electrical. Duty of a Residential Construction Manager (RCM) basically is to act as a site in charge of a mechanical project. Detailed duties of a Residential Construction Manager (RCM) are given below
Responsibilities of a Residential Construction Manager (RCM):
- Residential Construction Manager (RCM) is responsible for Planning of construction activities, construction execution.RCM handles various contractors, SHE management. Monitoring functional schedule, evaluating % progress are big roles of a Residential Construction Manager (RCM). Stage wise quality checks & record keeping, progress review & coordination with different agencies to ensure timely completion of the projects as a site in charge come under the purview of Residential Construction Manager (RCM).
- Resident Construction Manager – Mechanical is responsible for Fabrication and Erection, Construction and Modification of various types of – Oil Storage and Refinery Tanks, Pressure vessels, Mechanical & Civil Steel Structures for OIL AND GAS, FERTILIZER & HYDROGEN PLANT including Commissioning with knowledge of Codes and Standards.
- RCM should work towards achieving Business Excellence, Policy Deployment, Budgets, TPM and Lean Manufacturing initiatives. RCM must inculcatecontinuous improvement in culture in the Plant.
- Residential Construction Managermust act as a driving force of the development and implementation of Greenfield projects plans, ensuring completion of projects and startup of operations within specified time frame.
- Negotiating with supplier for the procurement of supplies at reasonable rates is another very important activity of an RCM.
- Resident Construction Manager has to follow the standardized procedure of sampling & testing, SOP (Standard operating protocol) to ensure good quality of the job.
- RCM ought to play the pivotal role in maintaining records of all correspondences vide letters, mail &Minutes of Meetings with contractors, client, Head Office for any deviation with respect to quality & safety, procedures, slow progress, other administrative & commercial matters.
- RCM needs to organize punch point listing. Licensor check listing, liquidation, safety audit, compliance & pre commissioning activities are some activities which come under Residential Construction Manager’s custody.
- RCM should supervise, guide subcontractor(s) to implement the requirements of the subcontract including the drawings and specifications.
- RCM will make overall planning of the departmental work and coordination with other department to progress the work.
- Residential Construction Manager will review and comment on the approve 90day schedule and the weekly schedule for the discipline and area of the responsibilities making sure that the requirements of the project schedule are met.
- If necessary, Residential Construction Manager can request the subcontractor to prepare detail work procedure and review and approve this procedure including any coordination with the discipline manager/leader.
- Resident Construction Manager monitors and advises the subcontractor(s) on the control of his labor, construction equipment, and material to ensure meeting the schedule
- Residential Construction Manager possess the control of materials supplied by contractor
- RCM will conform that work complies quality, safety and health and environmental requirements and work with the subcontractor(s) to take corrective action in case of issues raised. Coordinate any problem and corrective actions with the construction manager, the area engineer, the safety-health-environmental group, the project manager, the QAQC group and the manager or leader as applicable.
- Residential Construction Manager provides the project manager information on change of work and the monthly progress reports through manager or leader.
- RCM reviews the progress data and possible change re-quests from subcontractors and submits them to the project manager and/or the subcontract administrator.
- RCM must prepare daily and weekly construction report and submit that to project control group.
- Residential Construction Manager informs manager/leader regarding departmental problems and/or items of concern regarding engineering information and/or materials.
- Resident Construction Manager cooperates and advise subcontractor(s) to correct work plans in case of engineering drawing or material availability problems or change work required.
- Residential Construction Manager monitors and supervises piping and welding activities on site for quality and workmanship
- Test pack coordination and line checking, walk down of the related lines are some other responsibilities of Resident Construction Manager.
- Supervision of fabrication & Erection activities for piping spools & support is also important job of Residential Construction Manager.
How to become a Residential Construction Manager:
Educational Qualification requirement to become a Resident Construction Manager is Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (DME) or Graduate in Mechanical Engineering (BE/BTech) from an accredited Institute/College approved by AICTE in India. But to become a RCM, educational qualification is not the only requirement. At least 15 years for a degree engineer and 20 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer will be necessary.
Technical Skills required for Residential Construction Manager
- Budget preparation, project monitoring.
- Project Schedule, Progress Monitoring (Monthly, Weekly, Daily project reports).
- Contract development.
- Proven competence in Site Handling and Construction Management
- Should have knowledge of handling the project independently
Behavioral Skills required for Resident Construction Manager
- Should be good planner and implementer of project schedule within the cost and time target.
- Should have the driving force to handle effectively the complexities of consultants, contractors, suppliers for achieving the target on time and within the budgeted cost.
Software skills Required for Residential Construction Manager
MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point ASNT L2
What is the scope of Residential Construction Manager – Mechanical in the Industry
Residential Construction Manager – Mechanical are required in Heavy Engineering industries like Oil and Gas, Refineries, Petroleum, Piping, Tankage, Steel, Aluminum etc. Mechanical Planning Engineers are hired in Greenfield, Brownfield projects for large factory set up, expansion or revamp projects. RCM – Mechanical have very high demand in EPC companies. Residential Construction Manager – Mechanical have huge contribution in Infrastructural Projects like hydropower, thermal power industries. Also Mechanical Planning Engineers get jobs in factories for project and maintenance field.
Salary of Resident Construction Manager – Mechanical (in India)
Salary of Residential Construction Manager – Mechanical in India ranges from 12 Lacs Rupees to 20 Lacs Rupees per annum depending upon the qualification, experience and volume of the project.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, At least 15 years for a degree engineer and 20 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer will be necessary.
There are high demands of Indian Residential Construction Manager abroad especially in Middle east countries, Canada, Australia.
Yes, he can if the person imbibes project management skills while working on any project closely with superior Project manager.
No. The ITI holder should get Diploma certificate at least.
Residential Construction Manager is completely site based job.