Role of a Project Manager Mechanical (PM) is to play the pivotal leadership role from the start of a project to closure of a project of the construction project. Duties of a Project Manager Mechanical (PM) is to monitor and supervise every department of a project and act as a bridge between the top management and the construction project. Resource Management, manpower management, vendor management, supplier management, time management, operation and administration of a project and Customer Interaction on behalf of the company are the major activities of a Project Manager (PM) in Petroleum, Refinery, Piping, Tank industry and other mechanical construction industry.
Do you want to know in detail what a Mechanical Project Manager does? What you should look for in a Mechanical Project Manager Resume? What are the points you should include in your Mechanical Project Manager CV? Please read below.
Responsibilities of a Mechanical Project Manager (PM):
- Project Manager (PM) leads all project management activities involving planning & control, resource management, client interaction, coordinate with the Construction Contractors/Sub-contractors at site, monitors construction/project completion activities, reviews the dally/weekly and monthly progress report.
- PM Liaises with the Central Project Controls team and other stakeholders to review and report construction completion progress internally to Sr. Management and externally with Client.
- Participate in client review meetings at site and represent the project controls function in such meetings. Interaction with the client project controls personnel as required, including review/approval/certification of construction/pre commissioning/commissioning work.
- Project Manager (PM) monitors action and escalate potential risk events for proactive mitigation.
- PM Reviews contract documents, identifying requirements or scope of work for project execution, material selection reports, Spooling of Isometrics, Bill of Materials, specifications, drawings and other documents.
- Establishing contract review criteria and resolving discrepancies from original proposal through the instigation of technical queries to support to Operation and maintenance (O&M), prepare O&M manual and technical guideline for pre commissioning and commissioning activities of plant system.
- PM executes construction activities as per the schedule and specification while managing the construction equipment for optimum output, supporting site staff including technical, supervisor, etc. He prepares the packages for system hydro testing, flushing and pre commissioning activities.
- Ensuring that the operations are completed within cost & time norms; participating in project review meetings for evaluating projects progress.
- Anchoring on-site construction activities to ensure completion of project within the defined parameters and effective resource utilization to maximize the output.
- Project Manager (PM) ensures that machinery/ equipment/ material procurements are in accordance with schedule, quantity and quality.
- Coordinating with various inter department unit like planning, engineering, procurement, quality, safety and stores for their specific daily activities related to project.
- Maintaining project schedules and ensure allotted man-hours, deadlines and cost requirements are strictly adhered to. Recommend cost effective measures to reduce overall costs.
- Project planning, project progress monitoring & expediting, engineering, ordering, supply, invoicing, collection, disbursement & resource planning etc. Coordination and synchronizing activities with all relevant agencies including interdepartmental, consultant, erection contractor, client etc.
- Project Manager (PM) avails monitoring activities at site & reviewing project schedule time to time to ensure cost control, cash flow management to complete the project within budgeted cost stipulated time.
- Supporting Supply Chain Management by vendor identification, negotiation with vendor during project acquisition and execution phase for critical and high value items in order to maintain margin and delivery schedule.
- Also looks after Project profitability by monitoring of deliverables to achieve target revenue, invoicing and collection. Monitoring project receivable and coordinate with client for periodic reconciliation of statement of accounts.
- Project Manager (PM) takes care of various commercial and statutory requirements such as CST, ED, VAT, Custom Duty, different types of form etc.
- Settlement of Extra Claim, Insurance claim and any dispute etc. with Clients or vendors and resolution of customer complains.
- Project Documentation & Management report – Continuous Project monitoring by various monthly & weekly reports such as Master Progress Report, Technical & Documentation Status Report, Invoicing Plan, Receivable statement, Preparation of Project Cost Control & Weight Variance Report and analyze Cost / Weight Variance and Gross Margin Slippage. Preparing and monitoring of Project Cost & Cash Flow Forecasts. Preparation of MIS.
- Project Manager (PM) Coordinates with Field service department for carrying out erection, commissioning, PG testing and hand over of plant to Customer.
How to become a Mechanical Project Manager (PM):
Educational Qualification requirement to become a Mechanical Planning Engineer is Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (DME) or Graduate in Mechanical Engineering (BE/BTech) from an accredited Institute/College approved by AICTE in India. But to become a Project Manager (PM), educational qualification is not the only requirement. At least 10 years for a degree engineer and 15 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer in multiple projects and at least 5 years as construction manager will be necessary.
Technical Skills required for Mechanical Project Manager (PM):
- Budget preparation, project monitoring.
- Project Schedule, Progress Monitoring (Monthly, Weekly, Daily project reports).
- Proven competence in Site Handling and Construction Management
- Should have knowledge of handling the project independently
- Contract Management
- Material management and Resource Planning
- Compliance know how.
- Liaison & Negotiation
Behavioral Skills required for Mechanical Project Manager (PM):
MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point
What is the job scope of Project Manager – Mechanical in the Industry:
Project Manager – Mechanical are required in Heavy Engineering industries like Oil and Gas, Refineries, Petroleum, Piping, Tankage, Steel, Aluminum etc. Project Managers are hired in Greenfield, Brownfield projects for large factory set up, expansion or revamp projects. Project Manager – Mechanical have very high demand in EPC companies. Project Managers – Mechanical have huge contribution in Infrastructural Projects like hydropower, thermal power industries.
Salary of Project Manager – Mechanical (in India):
Salary of Residential Construction Manager – Mechanical in India ranges from 15 Lacs Rupees to 50 Lacs Rupees per annum depending upon the qualification, experience, Expertise, Company, volume of the project.
Yes, at least 15 years for a degree engineer and 20 years for a diploma engineer of experience in the site as planning engineer, site engineer or qa/qc engineer will be necessary.
There are high demands of Indian Residential Construction Manager abroad especially in Middle east countries, Canada, Australia.
Yes, he can if the person imbibes project management skills while working on any project closely with superior Project manager.
No. The ITI holder should get Diploma certificate at least.
Residential Construction Manager is may be head office based or site based job depending on project and hiring company.