Functional Role of a Store Manager is to lead the Store management, Warehouse Management of a company. Duties of Store Manager include material dispatch process, logistics operations, inventory control, quality assurance of material etc.
Do you want to know in detail what a Store Manager does? What you should look for in a Store Manager Resume? What are the points you should include in your Store Manager CV? Please read below.
Responsibilities of Store Manager:
Logistics / Warehouse / Stores Management
- Recommend optimal transportation modes, routing, equipment, or frequency.
- Establish & monitor specific supply chain-based performance measurement systems.
- Plan & implement material flow management systems to meet production requirements.
- Create policies or procedures for logistics activities. Maintain metrics, reports, process documentation, customer service logs, or training or safety records.
- Negotiate transportation rates or services. Negotiate with suppliers or customers to improve supply chain efficiency or sustainability.
- Design models for use in evaluating logistics programs or services. Supervise the work of logistics specialists, planners, or schedulers.
- Ensure carrier compliance with company policies or procedures for product transit or delivery.
- Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios. Plan or implement improvements to internal or external logistics systems or processes.
- Recommend purchase of new or improved technology, such as automated systems.
- Design models for use in evaluating logistics programs or services.
- Implement specific customer requirements, such as internal reporting or customized transportation metrics.
- Plan and implement / streamline stores layouts to store material in the right place and in the most suitable / prescribed manner to accord easy identification, handling, periodical inspection, accounting, preservation, housekeeping of premises and safety of the material.
- Supervise Excise related activities (including coordination for export sealing / stuffing of containers), train staff / labors on material handling equipment and stores procedures for the timely execution of allotted work and maintain complete & up-to-date records both for physical storage and accounts.
- Negotiate cost effective rates with logistic service providers, finalize annual transport contracts, and monitor loading and fumigation activity of export containers ensuring all due care and optimum stuffing.
- Develop seaworthy packing for products for better preservation and ensure their availability in adequate quantities.
- Reconcile third party accounts (job work); devise and execute material cost reduction mechanisms to curtail transportation / distribution and storage expenses.
- Manage central stores with inventory, implement ABC Analysis / lead time assessments to determine optimum inventory levels and implement inventory management systems for effective stores management to ensure the ready availability of materials to meet production targets.
- Conduct reorder level review, inventory reduction initiatives and institute procedures for the proper and accurate receipt, storage and issue of items.
- Monitor the cost of inventory; institute systems to identify non-moving items, reduce scrap generation, out of turn purchases and arrange for their disposal from time to time in consultation of vendors and user departments.
How to become a Store Manager:
Educational Qualification requirement to become a Store Manager is Graduate or Bachelor degree from any of college/university in Commerce or Engineering. Diploma or post graduate diploma in Material Management (MM) is must for Material Manager. MBA in Supply Chain Management is an added advantage. The person needs to work in supply chain or material management department for at least 3 to 5 years to become a Store Manager.
Technical Skills Required for Store Manager:
- Strategic Planning & Leadership
- MIS Management
- Cost Focus
- Budgeting & Forecasting acumen
- Audit & Compliance expertise
- Procurement Management
- Logistics expertise
- Good at Liaison and Relationship management
Software skills Required for Store Manager:
ERP/SAP (MM module)
MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point
Soft skills Required for Store Manager:
- Strong negotiating skills essential for fixing correct price and other terms of contract.
- Excellent Verbal communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong communicative and interpersonal skills essential for managing people.
- Self-motivated, hardworking. Always keen on constant improvement.
- Goal Oriented mind set.
What is the Job Opportunity of Store Manager in the industry?
Store Managers are required and hired in manufacturing companies, Logistics Companies, Warehousing companies, export import companies, online shopping companies like amazon, flipkart, Myntra etc. So, there is always a huge demand of Store Managers.
Salary of Store Manage (in India):
Salary of Store Manager in India ranges from 6 Lacs Rupees to 40 Lacs of Rupees per annum depending upon the Experience, Expertise, Industry, Business volume, procurement ticket size etc.
Yes, he needs to work in supply chain or material store management department of a company.
There are moderate demands of Store Manager abroad especially in Middle east countries (Gulf), South Africa, Canada.